Seth Godin somes it up nicely.
"I blog because I don't really have a choice. The ideas in me insist on being shared, and this is the least painful way I can find to do it!"
Other reasons the article puts forward include.
- To maintain a routine- motivation and accountability
- To hone the craft of writing
- To air new and provocative ideas
- To spread cutting-edge information or timely opinion
- To connect with a like-minded community
- To forward the tradition of storytelling
- To build resume or clout
- To express creativity
- To find catharsis after a traumatic event
- To attract web traffic
- To rant or vent
- To see our names in print - ego